Saturday 6 June 2009

Lariats are the new 'It' necklace!

I have had a bit of a push to make some of my Lariat style necklaces, and managed to get all of two made last night!
They take a long time to make as they are so detailed, and have so many stones and beads on them - which is why I have been putting off making some for ages (naughty me). I have also discovered that making these little devils in the summer is a nightmare! Sweaty fingers + tiny beads = headache.
However - despite the fact that I was cursing every tiny crystal last night, I did remember why I love them after I had finished. I love the fact that they look like a little mix-bag of jewels and stones - just delicious!

I read in Make Jewellery magazine recently that they are the new 'It' piece of jewellery, so have been telling everyone this - blowing my trumpet that I'm obviously fashion-forward (which in all honesty, is not how I could be described). But it was great to see that this style of necklace is grabbing the attention of the general public now. I think people are always worried that they will fall off, but as they are being seen more frequently, people are putting their faith in them. When you wear them, just knot it around the neck like a scarf - the way the beads and stones are knotted on to them acts as a lock, and holds them on, so they are perfectly secure - and no fiddly clasps! Just don't leave them lying around if you have pets (my cat decorated himself and the living room floor with one recently - no tuna for him for a while!).

The one pictured above is called 'Indian Summer' and is made from turquoise, glass crystals, mother of pearl chips, and nuggets of shimmering shell. It's a nice weighty piece that just looks like hot, balmy evenings to me.

The lariat on the right is called 'Pretty in Pink', and is made from amazonite, mother of pearl chips, mother of pearl discs, Swarovski crystals, blister pearls, and potato pearls. It's a really flirty number and just made me think of that movie 'Pretty in Pink' as soon as I had completed it.

If you fancy being ahead of the fashion pack, you can get either of these lariat necklaces from Artery Gallery in St Andrews. Their number is 01334 478221, or find them online at www.arteryuk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment