Monday 8 June 2009

Made-to-order jewellery

Hand-made jewellery is great, because you know you are always going to get something unique and original, but to get something totally unique to you, you can get something made-to-order.

I have just made two pairs of earrings for a customer, which were made to her specifications. She wanted very long earrings - about 7cm long, with a piece of turquoise as it is her favourite stone, and she also wanted the biggest, heaviest piece of the earring to be at the bottom, so they were really swingy, and swooshy (is that a word?). These were the only specifications she made, so I had a pretty free hand in what I designed, but making something that a customer hasn't seen before is a bit terrifying! How an idea looks in somebody's vision of it can be totally different from the reality. The great thing about making something to order is that you are working from someone elses idea - so it can really open you up to new design ideas, and have you making things you had never thought of before.

The hand-knotted earrings are something I would never have made - but my customer was looking for a pair of turquoise earrings to go with a hand-knotted lariat I had made for her, so going on her specifications, I though I'd try the lariat-style knot work for them. I was a bit concerned before I made them, but now I've managed it, I think I will probably make more pairs now - to match lariats that I've made. The other turquoise earrings on the silver chain are quite different to what I generally make. They are very simple - which for those who know me, know that's not my style (why be simple when you can complicate everything?!!) but I love the movement of them. As they are on such long chains they are really 'swooshy' and just skim the shoulders.

So this has been a learning curve for me, and one that I would be glad to repeat, as it has pushed me to learn something new, and opened my eyes to new designs. If you ever want anything made to order, you can contact me via my email, and arrange a consultation.
debraelizabeth@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment