Sunday 3 May 2009

New materials, new ideas, same old me....

How many people go to the shops and get a £15 loaf of bread? Is that common....or is it just me? I think "I'll just pop down the shops for a loaf of bread and a pint of milk" and come back an hour later with olives, nice bar of chocolate, some fancy crisps (those super crunchy hand made ones, that feel like you're eating shrapnel) some dips, some super deluxe milk that comes from cows which are made of gold....and then I get home and think "fiddle....I forgot the fiddling bread!!" Is this a common thing? Or is it just me thay can't control my spending?
Anyway, this is what happened a couple of weeks ago when I was online looking for some nice pearls....and would you believe, I managed to find myself on a whole different website than the one I intended to be on. It had so many pretty things, and what was intended to be a quick purchase of a few strings of pearls, became and epic shopping spree on beads. It did dent my bank account a little. HOWEVER (I say this loudly,so you pay attention as I excuse my frivolous spending), I did find THE MOST BEAUTIFUL beads ever!! They are little flowers carved out of gemstones, and I have fallen in love with them.

I made my first piece using one of these flowers, which was intended to go into a gallery to be sold....I couldn't part with it though. I've pictured it at the top of this post - it is a little hand-carved flower made from Korean jade, and I love it!! It's a stunning lime green colour - really 'fizzy' looking. I've strung it onto oblong beads of olive coloured Korean jade, with little rounds of turquoise in-between. I just couldn't part with it. I've put a close up of the carved flower here, so you can fall in love with it too :)

I love discovering new materials, new stones, new anything really. It makes it all feel quite exciting, like I've discovered a secret. And it makes those costly shopping trips worthwhile!!

I've also tried for the first time, making jewellery from silver wire. I have tried to educate myself on this, making small pieces, such as earwires (successful!), jump rings (yep, managed it), eyepins (yeah, them too), but then, I think I got a bit sure of myself. Oh dear - chandelier earrings. Maybe a bit ambitious. They resembled a birds nest....maybe I can start a new fashion with 'birds nest' earrings. Or maybe not.

However - I have had some success with making links, and pendants, and I really love the effect they have on a piece of jewellery. They sort of 'fancy it up' a bit, make it look a bit more evening-y.

I made this necklace using pink nugget pearls, rose coloured Swarovski crystal, and moonstone rounds. It's such a feminine, pretty necklace, and once I added the rose quartz and silver wire pendant, I think it made it look just a little bit more special. I've put a close-up of the pendant, so you can see what I've done - and I can get everyones opinion then!


It has been a week of new ideas, and trying out different beads, different suppliers and different tools. I don't know if this has been inspired by the start of a new season, or if the longer days have made me more motivated. Regardless of what started this surge of life, I think I'll make the most of it just now. It's all very well having a boost like this, but I know me....before long I'll be back to my normal, slower paced self. I think I was built for comfort rather than speed.

Off to the shops now - I need to get some teabags.....better take my credit card......

No comments:

Post a Comment