Friday 22 May 2009

Pearl jewellery (with a twist)

I have found a new favourite supplier of pearls (a bit like when I've had a few sherries and I make New Best Friends, but better), and have gone a little 'pearl crazy' I think!

These pearls just inspired me as soon as I got them - I usually have to sit and have a bit of a think about what I'm going to make, but these are so stunning, I knew exactly what I wanted to do as soon as I picked them up.
The beautiful sunny gold colour of the Biwa (or 'stick') pearls made me think of places like Egypt - which then made me think of the beautiful fan style collars of Cleopatra, and so this design was born!
I've teamed the golden Biwa pearls with little peach rice pearls, and put tiny gold glass beads inbetween the gold Biwa pearls, so they lie in a fan shape. It looks great on tanned skin, and I can say for once I actually look like I've seen the sun, so I have been able to test this against my (very lightly) tanned skin.
I've also included a good close up of these so you can see the beautiful lustre they have. I think the Biwa pearls give a simple string of pearls a great twist.

I've also put together a string of my favourite colours of pearls - deep pastels - peaches, champagne, lavender, pink, cream and white. They look gorgeous together, and seem to flatter any skin tone (again I can vouch for this, as without baking in the sun, I am normally a corned-beef mottled pink, and the pearls even look nice against that!!). I've used potato pearls for a change - I usually use rice pearls, but loved the slightly off-round shape of these. I sneaked in a little clear, irridescent crystal every now and again to give a subtle sparkle.
I think at first glance this looks quite wedding-y, but I made myself a string (oops) and wear it all the time.

I think I need to learn some self control when it comes to buying pearls, I seem to be seriously lacking in it!!

Both of these necklaces are available at Artery Gallery, St Andrews - for £60 each.
http://www.arteryuk.com/artists/Scott,Elizabeth/

1 comment:

  1. Pearls are for all occasions...gorgeous and easy to match up to any dress you are wearing actually.

    ReplyDelete