Tuesday 7 April 2009

New ideas kill artist's brain cells!!!

So far, since I've been making jewellery, the thing that is most difficult, is to constantly come up with new ideas, rather than variations on ideas. So I've tried to strike a balance so that I don't send the creative part of my brain into meltdown!!

If I come up with one new idea, and do two variations of it, in necklaces, earrings and bracelets, that should give me lots of new looks, but save my tortured artistic brain from exploding. (it's not really tortured and artistic, but I quite like to 'buy into' a theme, and tortured artist is workable).

I have made a very pretty, girly necklace in rose quartz ovals, amethyst chips, pink pearl nuggets, and pink, violet and opal Swarovski crystals. It reminds me of that lovely pink blossom tree that comes out around this time of year - the one that's like confetti when the wind blows. Actually, saying that, I suppose it could make a nice bridesmaid necklace and earrings set, as its just so feminine. Continuing on that theme, I made a plain white rice pearl bracelet with lovely rose coloured crystals interspersed with the pearls. It looks really clean and fresh.
I used the same sort of pattern for the rose quartz necklace in a different stone and colour, so I'm really getting two necklaces out of one idea (remember tortured artist brain...). In this other necklace and earrings set, I've used new jade, crackled rock crystal, white rice pearls, and swarovski crystals. This gives a totally different look,which has been born out of the original idea. The square jades in this necklace are gorgeous - each one is a pale, marbled green, slightly different from the others.

I also made a new bracelet, building on the 'sunshine' themed jewellery, of coral and turquoise. I put together a bracelet of tiny little coral branches, with turquoise, and peachy-orange blister pearls - it just says summer to me. This idea could be built on further I think, perhaps adding in sponge coral nuggets, or something along that idea.

I made a necklace which was an entirely new idea, and already I can see lots of variations and themes of this pendant style necklace. It is jasper rounds, with tiny chips of peridot inbetween each jasper. It is finished with a large, carved jasper flower pendant. Jasper is such a versatile stone, with so many colours and names. It is also known as 'The Scottish Stone', so I feel I'm doing my patriotic bit by making jewellery in this material!
It has been a taxing few days!! I'm off to re-charged my delicate and artistic soul, with a cuppa, and a night off I think...(idea for next post - lazy girl's guide to jewellery making...?)

1 comment:

  1. Your jade and pearl necklace is gorgeous. Love the combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete