Wednesday 18 March 2009

Different strokes.......

I have three main collections of jewellery available - pearls and sparkles, chunky gemstones, and hand knotted lariats.

The three collections appeal to different tastes - pearls and sparkles collection is a very feminine style. It's very pretty, delicate and shimmery. This collection is made from genuine freshwater pearls, Swarovski crystals and sterling silver. I find that it's really hard to get pretty, delicate jewellery at the minute - it's all about chunky jewellery on the catwalks just now - but everybody has different taste, and sometimes, it's hard to carry off a big chunky leopard print bangle with pretty summer dresses. I find it a little frustrating that the catwalks dictate what's available in the shops as well - if you're not into big statement jewellery, what are you supposed to do? Saw it in half to slim it down?!! That's why I try to offer something to suit all tastes.

My chunky gemstones collection is made from genuine gemstones, such as agate, citrine, jade and quartz, often given a little glitz with accents of Swarovski crystals. All the clasps etc are sterling silver, so anyone can wear them - even those with sensitive skin. I love gemstones - I am utterly fascinated with their mineral composition, and the healing properties they are said to have - I suppose I unleash the geek when I'm making these! I look for unusual gems - either unusual stones, unusual colours or markings, or unusual cuts and shapes. Everyone loves to feel unique - and gemstones are always totally unique. It is impossible to recreate one stone the same as another.....just like us really!

Hand-knotted lariats are really unusual and funky. They are something totally different, yet bang on trend. These 'wrap around' necklaces have all sorts of stones, crystals, pearls, and glass beads on them. They are hand-knotted - much like old-fashioned pearl necklaces, and consist of one long string of beads. This can be wrapped around the neck, and tied loosely, like a scarf. This is where I really get to have fun with colour - some are subtle and botanical, some are inspired by the colours of the 'souks' of Egypt - rich and exotic.
I am also developing a small range of wedding and bridal jewellery at the minute - traditional pearls, subtle colours, little heart clasps and embellishments. I can make these to order and in all sizes - suitable from flower girl, to mother-of-the-bride!

It's all different strokes for different folks I suppose......

No comments:

Post a Comment