Wednesday 18 March 2009

A Butcher, A Baker, A candlestick Maker

Although I make jewellery and work in an art gallery now, I haven't always had a conventional career, or even a career!!

My very first job was when I was thirteen, as a waitress and dishwasher in a local hotel, which seemed to set the tone for things to come. I have been everything in the hotel and catering trade, from pot washer, to chambermaid, to bar tender and receptionist. It seemed so cool back then, earning £2.25 an hour, taking home my pay in a wee brown envelope on a Sunday morning, blowing it all on Smash Hits and bad eyeshadow by lunchtime.....I loved the banter in the kitchen, and the feeling that I had worked hard - paid my dues - 13 years later I was still paying my dues!!! Aaaarrrgh!! I was still waitressing at 26, having done all sorts of bits and bobs in-between.

I had been an Ann Summers Rep, which did not impress my father -we had a brief discussion about it which went like this:

Me: Dad, I've got a job as an Ann Summers Rep
Dad: What's that then?
Me: Here's the catalogue....
Dad: Go to your room!!!

I have been a seal-feeder - I kid you not! Feeding the seals twice a day at a local sealife rescue center. Falling in the seal pool, smelling of fish, and shovelling a half tonne of seal crap every week really couldn't have been further from the sexy glamour of Ann Summers.

I have been a clown - dressing in a fluffy costume with giant feet and being paraded round town to encourage people to book children's birthday parties. I had to judge sandcastle competitions in the somewhat sweaty costume in the midst of summer, and endure people mooning at me, knocking me over,bizarely - trying to feel me up (!) and the peculiar smell of bacon inside the costume, which my predecessor had left for me.

I have been a typist, receptionist, shop assistant, babysitter, nanny, waitress, barmaid, web manager, chambermaid, cook, fish-feeder,chemists assistant, flower arranger, cleaner, and finally I work in a gallery.

I finally have time to make jewellery - something I started in my teens as a bit of fun. It was a cheap way to make sure I had trendy jewellery that was unique, so I didn't look like a clone of my friends - a philosophy I apply to my jewellery making today.

When I'm designing jewellery, I get to have fun, working out what colours I want to use, imagining who'll buy the piece, what they could wear it to - I give every piece a story and personality, which I think helps me make wearable jewellery. Affordability always comes into the forefront of my mind, when I recall why I originally started making jewellery - who says handmade goods need to be expensive?

Have a look and see what you think......

No comments:

Post a Comment